Sunday, June 18, 2006

Rebound, Run, Slam, and Jam

Nevada Refinance
Nevada Refinance Counter

The title says it all. Do you remember those old commercials? How could you not? They had Emmitt Smith singing it and someone else. It was absolutely pathetic, but I loved the commercial; still do. It's interesting that the things the Mavs can't do this series is what has cost them the past two games... rebounding, running, and finishing (slamming and jamming).

What does that mean? Well, I'll tell you what it doesn't mean. It does not mean that Ross Perot Jr. is an oracle who can see into the future that the Mavs need to rebound, run, and dunk. It does mean that the Mavs need to get back to basics. And let me tell you why that will happen.

AVERY

I've worked around professional sports teams before, and let me tell you two things that I learned. First of all, players, no matter how good or bad they are, absolutely hate to share a hotel room with a teammate. And Avery made them do just that. And not only are they sharing, he stuck the oddest pairs together. Dirk's with DA, 'Quis is with Pavel, Stack is with Diop, and I forget the rest. Why did Avery do this? Because the players were on vacation. Now, I'll be honest, I was pretty surprised by that. I thought the players would be all business in Miami. But I guess not. Apparently, they were out all night partying in South Beach, which is awesome, as long as you're not fighting in the NBA Finals. So, this new roommate arrangement is more about making players focus on the goal at hand and not a punishment. When Dirk wakes up and sees DA in the bed next to him, he'll remember what he's doing immediately.

The second thing I've learned from working around a professional sports team is that to change plans is a big deal. Travel and hotel plans for teams are set very precisely, and for a coach to change them takes a lot. That's not to say that he shouldn't have done it, but imagine the conversation Avery had. He essentially asked the team to dump thousands of dollars worth of plans and add sink thousands more into a different plan. I give a lot of credit to the team for following Avery's directions. I shouldn't expect any less because these guys are playing for a title. But what they did, changing plans on a dime is no small task. And it takes something to request it. We can just hope it works.


So how is Avery going to help the Mavs rebound, run, slam, and jam? He already did. These guys have been engulfed in basketball for the past two days. They have probably watched at least 20 hours of film. Dirk knows how bad he has been, and he's going to turn it around. Josh knows he needs to make more hustle plays. And the whole team knows it has to take less 3's.

As for their missing comrade. Yes, it may be ridiculous. And yes, he will be missed. But it's time for other guys to step up. I'm sick of seeing the same guys come out gunning. Dirk, Josh, JET, and Stack. I want 'Quis and KVH to step up and do something. Anything. Whether it's strip a ball or hit a 3, just something. Stack gave the Mavs the fire they need by laying out Shaq then getting suspended. These guys need to step up.

Collect missed shots. Sprint down the floor. And I can't believe I'm saying this. Play like Mavs Man.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to find a copy of this commercial. If only to see how far the Dallas Mavericks have come. I remember the "Rebound, Run, Slam, and Jam tell me who's a Dallas Mavericks Fan?" like it was just yesterday. Images of Donald Hodge and Doug Smith "highlights" are running through my head for all of 2 seconds.

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Review my web-site :: Quantrim Truth

Anonymous said...

This can be added to your seating, whether it be in your
kitchen or in your living room. This is useful if your home's dining room shares space with your living room. The wooden vanity also gives you ample storage space.

Here is my web blog http://www.interiordecorationideas.net/ininfos/151/carinteriorideas.html

Anonymous said...

These are genuinely impressive ideas in regarding blogging.
You have touched some pleasant things here. Any way keep up wrinting.


my site :: anyone tried quantrim

Anonymous said...

These stakes are not only attractive, they
will give the recipient many years of enjoyment when
they gaze out over their garden. Generally, this begins with a soil sample to determine the type of soil, the fertilizer requirements, and the water usage needed.
Have you ever thought of using toys as cheap garden decor.


Feel free to visit my website: backyard garden ideas photos

Anonymous said...

Modern people are extremely a great deal conscious of their taste and options.
In case your daughter is somewhat older, you could should buy somewhat desk or desk for her to implement.
Thankfully, the bolsters also have evolved and you get them in modern designs and patterns.


Review my webpage ... baby room decorations

Anonymous said...

A collage of framed wall pictures featuring the main characters in the chosen theme is
an excellent idea especially if it matches the theme in the wall clock.
New bedding effortlessly updates and spruces up the bedroom decor.

For most of us, the appearance of the rooms where we do our entertaining (dining room, living room) is more important than a room few
others besides ourselves see.

Feel free to visit my homepage; beach bedroom decor

Anonymous said...

We're a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You've done a formidable job
and our whole community will be thankful to you.



Check out my blog post ... qantrim

Anonymous said...

Perhaps invest in an unusual print or an ornate chandelier, or a collection of family photos with do the job just as well.
This design was made in Craft - Artist using a background that was
already there, so all I needed to add was a frame and photo, a banner,
and of course the text. If you have time you could even shake the petals up with a little glitter to add some sparkle.


my blog - cheap coffee table ideas
My webpage > Wedding ideas and photos of

Anonymous said...

Aside from the fact that you get to enjoy this fun hobby, you
can save a lot of money as well. Wedding couples can use their wedding cake toppers to display as a
lovely keepsake in their home long after the wedding cake is gone.
The other is to select a tiered stand that supports the cake.


My web site Valentine cake ideas hearts

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

Feel free to visit my webpage :: buying quantrim

Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist commenting. Very well written!

my web site quantrim buy

Anonymous said...

Hello! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the
great information you have got right here on this post.

I will be coming back to your weblog for extra
soon.

facebook emoticons