Friday, June 02, 2006

Brutality

I'm not sure if anyone is going to read this post before Game 6. I'm on assignment. Not really. I'm in Philadelphia, and I'm not going to sign onto AIM to make this link available. So if you are one of my 8 loyal readers and you see this before Game 6, you truly are loyal. Now about that Game 5...

It wasn't until the end of the fourth quarter that I finally put it all together. Reggie Miller became my favorite player after he torched the Knicks for 25 fourth quarter points in Game 5 of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals. After understanding more about the game, I never thought I'd see such a performance again. And if you asked me on draft day 1998 if the goofy looking German guy the Mavs drafted could do the best Reggie Miller playoff impersonation, I would have laughed in your face. Look who's laughing now.

Did the 50 point game come out of nowhere? Sort of. Everyone knew he would bounce back. After scoring 13 in the first quarter, I was feeling 50 points. After a modest 28 through 3 quarters, I wasn't even thinking about 50. I was thinking about 3-2. And then the fourth quarter.

It actually began before the fourth quarter. That's not news to anyone. When Avery called the timeout at 77-70, I was pissed. The Mavs were letting their greatest opportunity get away from them, and the catalyst was a player stuffed full of steroids in Tim Thomas. The Mavs' body language was pathetic; they looked beaten. During that timeout, all I could think about was how good of friends Dirk and Steve Nash are. I wondered how much Dirk really wanted to beat his best friend, or if he felt bad for Steve and lost the killer instinct he had throughout the season. Thankfully, I was wrong.

50 points? By a Mav? That's unheard of. The best thing I heard about Dirk's performance was from Dee Brown who said that Dirk should be proud of having the Mavs' playoff franchise record because of all the great scorers before him like Mark Aguirre and Rolando Blackmon. Yeah, those guys were good players, but Dirk just catapulted himself into the unquestioned top 5 players in the league with Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and Duncan. I dare you to argue with me that there is a better player than any of those 5.

About this upcoming Game 6... The last closeout post I had was about James Bond. This one is a little different, however, I still have a poor comparison. Game 5 was a beatdown game because of the point margin and the fact that a player dropped 50 on them. The Suns may not care about defense, but everyone cares if a player goes for half a hundred, even the Suns. So after taking it on the chin in Game 5, the Suns feel the wooziness that happens after defeating an opponent in Mortal Kombat. All I can hear are those famous words. Let's all say it together.

FINISH HIM!

Let's see it. I want to see blood, guts, a decapitated Shawn Marion, and all of Tim Thomas' muscles ripped out of his body. Game 6 isn't going to take a 50 point game from Dirk or even 9 dimes from JET. No, Game 6 is going to take hustle and defense. And the Mavs are riding high, and they taste the Finals.

Mavs Win.

No comments: