Monday, April 24, 2006

10 Points? No Criminal Charges?

If you had told me on Sunday afternoon that Dirk would score over 30, Jason Terry 20, and Dampier would get a double-double, I would have said the Mavs would win by at least 17 points. But a 10 point margin of victory is troublesome because I would have expected the Mavs to win by more. I know what you're all thinking. Beggars can't be choosers, and I should be happy with a win considering it's the playoffs and last year we were down 0-2. Well, my friends, you would be correct if the Grizz were a somewhat equal opponent, but they're not. I proved that last night. Game 1 is supposed to be a statement game. The Cavs, Spurs, Wizards, Pistons, and even the Lakers made statements with their game 1's (Yes, I'm still on the Lakers' bandwagon, and I will be even if they're down 0-3). The Mavericks just won. Nothing fancy, not a grind, but they didn't do much to show anything.

Having said that, I enjoyed watching the game. There was only one time where I got almost halfway decently nervous, and that was at 77-75. Reggie Miller had outstanding commentary throughout the game, which calmed me. He kept referring to "Playoff Basketball" which he among anyone would know about. When one of the greatest clutch performers of all time talks about how overmatched the Grizz are in the playoffs against your team, you are in good shape. And we were.

Having said that, here's what made me cringe during the game:

Adrian Griffin I don't like him shooting the ball when there's an open man on the court. I counted twice where he took a jump shot while Jason Terry was open behind the three point line. He's in there for defense.

Pau Gasol's Second Half He essentially lit the Mavs up in the second half going for 21 after the break. Maybe Fratello figured something out. He must be contained to keep this thing a sweep.

The Game Times I had to miss Sopranos for the game. I have to miss Alias on Wednesday. I'm going to be drunk when I watch Game 3. Why won't the NBA consult with me about these scheduling matters?


Here's what I liked about the game:

Dirk's Poise He never got too greedy or too unselfish. He played his game, and the Mavericks were much better because of it.

Team Spirit I loved seeing Devin Harris, Josh Howard, and Darrell Armstrong rush the court in the second half when Marquis had that sweet finger roll. These guys are into it. And the Mavericks look like a Team.

Erick Dampier His dunk at the end of the first half was sick. I jumped out of my chair and started celebrating. It was awesome. I didn't see a double-double coming out of him at all. I definitely did not think I'd ever see him hit five free-throws in a row. He looked hungry out there. When he chased down a loose ball against Bobby Jackson, I thought for sure two courtside fans were going to be killed because Damp threw Jackson into the stands, then body-slammed him and yelled, "&%$@ YOU JACKSON! I DIDN'T EVEN PLAY HERE WHEN YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE THE %@#& WHAT NOW?! And then he body slams him and gets arrested for second degree murder and two counts of manslaughter. As funny as that would have been, we need Damp. Stay out of trouble, fella.

No comments: