Friday, November 18, 2005

The Brawl

In the midst of writing my 90210 review (which I can't seem to figure out how to write), I realized that tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of The Brawl, or as some people like to call it, "The Malice at the Palace." I'd like to revisit this historic event.

First of all, I remember stumbling back to my room that Friday night insanely drunk and seeing that headline on espn.com. Yes, when I go back to my room, I check espn.com. For what reason, I don't know. Anyway, I was so shocked that I slightly sobered up. I then tried to get ESPNMotion to show the fight, and I couldn't really see anything with blurred vision and a bad feed. So I went to sleep. I made sure to watch TV all day the next day, and what I saw was ridiculous. Here were my initial questions:

What in the name of Dennis Rodman was Ron Artest thinking lying on the scoring table? Wasn't he asking for some fans to berate him? What was that fan thinking when he tossed the beer? Why did Artest have to charge up there? Did he really think he'd find the culprit? Had Stephen Jackson been waiting to fight the fans because he was all about punching people? Who was the genius who threw the chair? What were those two Piston fans doing on the floor? Weren't they asking for it? What was said that provoked Jermaine O'Neal to do a sliding punch? Finally, why did I get drunk instead of watching the game live?

Well, most of those questions were not answered except we found out that a relative of Ben Wallace threw the chair. That guy is so stupid, but watching the replay makes it pretty funny. Here's what the brawl boiled down to in my eyes:

Artest was acting like an asshole, Grade A asshole. That fan, who replays show punching Artest in the head while Artest is being restrained should have gotten his ass kicked for being a moron. The fan who Artest initially attacked deserved to the beating he received because he was dumb enough to start yelling at a crazed Artest who was running up the stands looking for someone to pummel.

Here's where my controversial opinion comes in. The fans who walked onto the floor deserved to get the shit beat out of them. Once you walk on that floor, you can check your rights at the door because that's the players' haven, and they will fight you if they feel threatened on that court. It's their right. They are told all the time to feel safe playing in front of 20,000 hostile fans, but the fact of the matter is, when those fans become as hostile as they were, players can do whatever they want to fans who go looking for trouble on the floor. Ron Artest used his defensive instincts and went after those two dudes on the floor. However, Jermaine O'Neal's sliding punch is questionable.

I could go into a whole discussion about race, but I don't want to talk about that here. So here is my one racial thought: White people and black people make each other feel uncomfortable. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact of life, and when big black men violently charge into a crowd of white people, it's much worse than if it were white people attacking white people. And that's why this thing ballooned the way it did. I'm not blaming the brawl on black people, but I will put the blame on Ron Artest's shoulders for acting the way he did. He had two chances to prevent this from happening, to not lie on the scorer's table and to not charge the crowd. But he did both, and he got what he deserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate me some blacks